Queenstown Airport Night Operations Foundation Safety Case
Role: Project Facilitator / Management
Clients: Queenstown Airport Corporation
Date: 2012 – 2014
Facilitating the risk assessment process, leading stakeholder engagement, developing a Foundation Safety Case (FSC) and gaining the regulatory approval from the CAA. This complex and advanced analysis sought to fully understand the operational risks of night jet RPT operations into one of the world’s most challenging airports. Prior work supporting the development of RNP-AR 0.1 operations gave us the insights to lead this work. The final FSC set out the controls required to be implemented by the airport, the ANSP, and each airline operator before flights could be undertaken.
UAV BLOS Foundation Safety Case
Clients: MBIE / CAA
Working with the regulator, Navigatus developed a Foundation Safety Case framework designed to enable full integration of UAV into the existing aviation system. Based upon the core requirements of all aviation operations the Safety Case leads and enables any prospective operator to show how they ensure that all technical, operational and human functions and processes adequately address the risks associated with each and set out the ‘safety argument’ for a given UAV operating within a define operational context. While being compliant with JARUS SORA, the underlying model is constant with established ICAO’s fundamental requirements while not constraining solutions to established methods and so enabling innovation within all aspects of the vehicle and operations.
The Safety Case framework is fully web-enabled with full security to facilitate both use by a distributed workforce and progressive review, open dialogue and assessment and approval by regulators.
Night Operations Operators' Safety Cases
Role: Project Facilitator / Advisor / Risk Analysis Support
Clients: Air New Zealand, Jetstar
Facilitating the combined operator working group to develop the first Queenstown night operations Operator Safety Cases (OSCs) and supporting regulatory approval from the CAA. Both airlines and later Virgin Australia gained approvals on the basis of these Cases, further supporting risk analysis undertaken by Navigatus and the development of an advanced local real-time weather reporting system.
Development of Aviation System Safety Criteria
Role: Facilitator / Criteria Design
Clients: CAA NZ / Ministry of Transport
Date: 2016 and 2018
Working with CAA, the ANSP and other subject matter experts, within a demanding schedule, leading the identification of threats to the NSS aviation system and developing comprehensive safety criteria. The criteria form the foundation and support the ongoing development of the Concept of Operations, future growth, innovations and change.
Navigatus was again engaged to undertake a refresh of the Safety Criteria in light of the rapid development of Unmanned Aircraft and other technologies These criteria now form the basis of all developments within the New Zealand aviation system.
Investigation of RNP AR Procedure
Role: Researcher / Advisor
Clients: Air NZ, Jetstar, Virgin Australia
We initiated and undertook detailed analysis of the coded RNP fight path in response to reoccurring reports by crew of ‘slightly high’ PAPI indication on approach to runway 23 at Queenstown. Given the complex path that includes late course corrections ahead of final alignment at just 230’ AAL, we also identified areas for potential design enhancements for consideration by airlines and path designers. The subsequent removal of redundant waypoint altitude constraints optimised the vertical guidance thus improving the stability and flyability of the approach.
Assessment of Future Surveillance Systems
Role: Facilitator / Risk Assessment
Clients: Airways NZ
Navigatus facilitated a risk assessment process to identify and examine the resulting national aviation system risk profile given a range of thirteen future surveillance systems and technologies that were being considered as replacements for the legacy systems.
We constructed a risk based model of surveillance coverage, airspace density and hazards and threats within the national airspace. The work involved evaluating various option packages and reporting on key threats and effectiveness of proposed mitigations.
Other Example Projects
- CAA – Risk review of establishment of PASO (Pacific Aviation Safety Organisation).
- CAA – ADS-B equipage scheme review.
- CAA – Data analysis, research, industry consultation and preparation of Part 135 Sector Risk Profile.
- CAA – Cessna 208 Caravan – SEIFR risk profile.
- CAA – Identification of risks in support of business planning process.
- Airservices Australia – Statistical analysis of global aviation accident data.
- Private Part 125 airline operator – SEIFR risk profile scenarios.
- Private UAV developer – Development of Aeronautical Study and Safety Case for operations in controlled airspace.
- Private aerodrome owner/operator – Analysis of attended/unattended risk profile and operations.
- Ministry of Transport – Advice on national aviation navigation system.
- Ministry of Transport – Aeronautical Study of effect of removal of AFIS from attended aerodrome.
- Ministry of Transport – Development of SMS and compliance to “qualified” status for previously non-certificated aerodrome.
- Ministry of Transport – Preparation of aerodrome obstacle surfaces survey specification.
- Ministry of Transport – Instructions and oversight of aerodrome survey.
- Ministry of Transport – Aerodrome aeronautical study.
- Ministry of Business and Innovation – Advice on UAS developments and support.
- Ministry of Business and Innovation – Development of UAS Safety Case model and operator support.
- New Southern Sky (CAA/MoT) – Development of Aeronautical Information Management (AIM) system CONOPS.
- New Southern Sky (CAA /MoT) – Development of National Aviation Safety Criteria.
- Airways NZ – Controlled airspace incursion risk mapping tool and web portal.
- Airways NZ – Risk review of surveillance Medium Term Conflict Detection system.
- Airways NZ – UAV incursion risk analysis and geographic mapping tool.
- Airways NZ – Analysis of risk profile of attended and unattended aerodromes (NZ and Australia).
- Auckland International Airport – Analysis of dimensions of Runway Public Safety Areas (REPA).
- Auckland Airport – Development of Safety Case for major runway works and shortened runway operations.
- Auckland Airport – Chair-ship of major works safety management committee.
- Auckland Airport – Review of helicopter operations.
- Auckland City Council – Part 77 study of speedway development.
- Queenstown Airport Corporation – Corporate risk profiling and development of risk framework.
- Queenstown Airport Corporation – Runway veer-off analysis in support of infrastructure developments.
- Queenstown Airport Corporation – Preparation of aerodrome obstacle surfaces survey specification.
- Virgin Australia (VA) – Support to operational Safety Case.
- Virgin Australia (VA) – Development of meteorological data reporting system.
- Jetstar (JQ) – Support to operational Safety Case.
- Jetstar (JQ) – Development of meteorological data reporting system.
- Air New Zealand (NZ) – Analysis of operations in uncontrolled airspace during divert.
- Air New Zealand (NZ) – B777-300 & B787-900 fleet introduction project risk support.
- Air New Zealand (NZ) – Risk advice and support following Fukushima nuclear accident.
- Air New Zealand (NZ) – Support for aviation emergency exercises (various).
- Aviation NZ – Management of AIRCARE safety and environmental audit programme.
- RNZAF – Preparation and delivery of custom Risk Management training and advice.
- City Council (aerodrome owner) – Risk analysis support to aerodrome aeronautical study.
- Government agency – Aerodrome ownership options study and report.